Thursday 17 December 2015

Being Gratful - 8 Days Till Christmas

Everyone sees the holidays as a time of gift giving and spreading Christmas cheer, recently in the UK the gifts that are expected at Christmas are getting bigger and bigger and the amount of unappreciative children that complain that they have not received what they wanted it becoming ridiculous! Being 18, I don’t expect large amount from my family, and honestly I don’t think I ever have. Of course every child knows that Christmas means presents, which means toys, which means stuff to play with. But even from a young age I always use to appreciate the smaller more thought out items more than the larger gifts because I knew the thought had gone into it.

Now, I volunteer at a local brownie group and we meet every week. I have been doing this for two years and have got to know the girls very well and have a strong bond with each and every one of them. The age of these girls ranges from 7 to 11 before they go off to guides, so they are still young enough to be playing with Barbie Dolls and completing puzzles (which is what I did at their age). But last week I was talking to some of the girls and we were discussing what they had asked their parents for this Christmas. Some of the responses shocked me.
One girl said they had asked for an iPhone 6, ARE YOU SERIOUS, I am 18, pay my own phone bill, and not even I have a phone of that price! Another said they asked for a Microsoft Tablet, THIS IS RIDICULOUS, I saved up with a part time job at the age of 16 and 17 to buy my own tablet and it took me over a year! Children expect way to much during the holidays and I feel there needs to be a certain point were a present becomes too much!
I don’t know this is happening all around the world but it is definitely happening all over the UK, what happened to the years when you would wake up at 6am on Christmas Morning, run downstairs to see if Santa Clause has been and get excited when you unwrap some sort of ‘Create Your Own’ kit or a new action figure (because I loved Dr Who).
Parents don’t have the joy of sitting around for 12 hours playing with their children’s toys with them because their child received a piece of technology that is more advanced than what they have. The only reason I got annoyed at my parents on Christmas Day was because they did not have the correct size battery for my light saber (yes I also liked starwars), not because I got the iPhone 6 in black and not white.
During the Christmas holidays be appreciative of everything you receive, because you don’t know how much time and effort goes into a gift and it can really hurt someone’s feelings if you do not like it. Even if it isn’t something you asked for, at least your parents went out of their way to buy you a gift.
One final point I want to make is, if you are in high school and you go back after the Christmas Break and someone in your class got a lot of gifts, that where of high quality, but you didn’t get as much as them and it was not as good. Stop and think for a minute, yes maybe their parents spent £500 on them, but they earn a lot of money, £500 isn’t much. Your parents could have only spent £50 but that was the only £50 they had and they chose to spend it on you rather than themselves because they didn’t want to see you suffer!
Hopefully this blog post has made you think, and although Christmas is seen as a time for giving, think about what you are receiving. This shouldn’t just apply during the holidays, everyone should be grateful about receiving gifts all year round!  

Merry Christmas!
Stay Strong <3

No comments: